Should I notify local emergency services that I have a hearing loss?

ask the audiologists image

For your own added safety, you might want to take advantage of a service for residents with disabilities that could interfere with their emergency care.

If you have a landline telephone, you may register with local authorities to let them know you have a hearing loss. If you ever need to call 9-1-1, the emergency dispatcher will automatically be notified of your hearing loss, so emergency responders can be alerted that you might not hear the doorbell or a knock on the door.

Massachusetts residents can visit to fill out the Disability Indicator Form for your local 9-1-1 Municipal Coordinator.

If you live in Connecticut, visit on “How to Alert 9-1-1 in CT“.

Ask The Audiologists…

…and get your hearing care question answered AND be entered for a chance to win a free gift card to your favorite restaurant!

All questions submitted will be posted to this web site.